Monday, May 9, 2016

Could have been a fabulous YA Fantasy series

The Last of the Firedrakes The Last of the Firedrakes by Farah Oomerbhoy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(Free copy in exchange for review)

I have mixed feelings about this one. It started off well enough - a young 16-year-old, Aurora, is an orphan living with her aunt, uncle and cousin who despise her. Her uncle sells her to a mysterious man from another world where she discovers her true identity. But it goes very, very slowly downhill from there. Enter many clichés and you get what I’m talking about - silly fairy names, a magical school, the fact that there has never been anyone more powerful than Aurora, mysterious, handsome stranger that she falls in love with instantly. It really is a shame because Oomerbhoy builds a fantastic world to have an adventure in.

The worst, however, is the heroine’s stupidity and inane questions. I remember being 16 but surely she could have connected the dots for SOME of this stuff, and her stubbornness to not plan ahead and to just run off into danger, regardless of consequences, over and over and over and over… she’s supposed to be a QUEEN?!

Will I read book 2? Maybe. If I have nothing else to read. Otherwise, Avalonia stops here for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment